Saturday, August 8, 2020

Part Prices

I was looking at laying out a prototype board, something better than the proto board I am using now. I really like the MAX6675 for the thermocouples. The protoboard is looking good with 4 of the Arduino modules on there. I've built some braces for the modules, and it should be good for ground testing. 



I can buy the Arduino modules with the cap from the data sheet, 0.1" pins and a screw terminal for about $4.00 all day long. If I want to buy the bare chip, it is $9.00-$11.00! Why? I thought the Arduino modules might be using a clone chip, but when I magnify the chip, it clearly says MAX6675ISA. Is it counterfeit? I would thing MAXIM, or whoever would be catching these at customs if that were true. I just don't get it. 

I need to do some more research. Find out if there is some magic I am missing. I am sure I could request samples, and probably get what I need for very little, but if someone were to want to reproduce my work, well, it could get very expensive. 

I know I said I ordered 3 meter thermocouples, I was wrong. I ordered 2 meter cables, and boy are they long! I could have gotten away with meter and a half cables for the two front (rear) cylinders, and 1 meter for the back cylinders. Anyway, they aren't built well, so I may need to modify them anyway. The crimp joints don't have any strain relief, and that is where things are likely to break. I 3D printed a brace to support the modules.


The code has been modified for talking to all 4 modules. I think I'll only have 4 on this board, due to space. Eventually I'd like to use 4 more of the same module for the EGT temperature measuring. I am also using the Hall Effect Linear Current Sensor Module ACS712 for Arduino for measuring current to the panel. I haven't the software for that yet. 

I am printing a proto mount for the firewall now. I use tinkercad for these parts. The links are here, if you want to use them. Let me know if you do. 


ProtoMount                       ModuleBrace




      

No comments:

Post a Comment